How can I create boundaries for my kitten without her hating me?

People of Catster, I'm feeling like a bad mommy, help! My new 5-month old kitten has major torti-tude--if I don't want her to do something, she does it. Adding to my dismay is my clueless roommate. I can't leave kitten outside my room when we leave because roommate's room (which is also the living room) is full of little trinkets that kitten would love to mess with, and because kitten will run out the front door if someone comes in without blocking (and probably get through the block anyway)! Roommate, like I said, is clueless and indulges the kitten whenever they are interacting so it's up to me to enforce discipline. Now kitten runs like hell whenever I try to shut her in my room, hates it when I pick her up (she used to love it), runs away when she sees me and doesn't seem to cuddle me as much. How can I enforce these boundaries, which are for the safety of kitten, without kitten favoring roommate over me? I try treats but she is way more into exploring than treats :-(

Asked by Member 1197575 on Nov 4th 2013 Tagged discipline, boundaries, tortitude in Behavior & Training

Answers

I hate to say it, but maybe it's time for a new living arrangement if a stern talk with your mate fails? Of course the kitten will run to the parent who will give them whatever they want (so will kids) but that doesn't make it right, consider her safety first. If your roommate will not kitten-proof, it will be up to you. Kittens really should not be eating treats before 6 months anyway. However, you can add to your bedroom a cat tree, window perch and more toys, plus a snuggly blanket. When you go to bring your cat in, bring a favorite toy or a treat to bring her close enough to grab. Getting her spayed will calm her down, so make an appointment for that. I have my 1st tortie now, and I must say she's the fastest kitten I've ever owned, and a bit of a nipper (she was feral and is doing quite well with my others). Again, mate is temporary, but YOU are permanent, so set your ego aside for the moment and do right by the kitten. Eventually you will be her only human mother ^_^