Milly

How big will I get?

My sister and I are new here and still kittens. We are currently 3 months old and already weigh 4 pounds. We are not overweight by any means, but even the man in the white coat (my human called him Doctor) was surprised by our weight. All this talk about weight has me a little curious. What should my sister and I expect to weigh as full grown kitties, about how tall will we be?

Asked by Milly on Dec 12th 2012 Tagged sizeweightcoat in Chantilly/Tiffany

Answers

When Izzie adopted me and we went to the vet's the first time, he was about 3 months old and weighed 6 lbs. When I asked the vet how big he'd get, she said "As big as he wants to!" By the time he was a year old, he weighed 15lbs. and now depending on his exercise and interest in what food I bring home, he weighs between 15 and 17lbs. The vet told me he is about 80% Maine Coon and they're BIG cats who keep growing until they're about 5 years old. It's not possible for anyone, even a vet to know for sure how large a cat will get. Unless you have a record of each member of the cat's family, it's almost always at least a small surprise when they're done growing. Izzie's mother looked like a Russian Blue, medium sized with short steel gray fur. He looks NOTHING like her! The most important thing you can do is stay in touch with the vet and take his advice for feeding,weight, spaying, vaccinations and socialization. Don't hold back on the playtimes and cuddles. An active cat is a happy cat!

More Questions in This Category