Cherry

Hi, Has anyone enrolled for pet insurance for your cats? If yes, can you please provide your suggestions. Thank you.

I am planning to take insurance for my cats. I was wondering if any of you already have them and if yes, then I would like to know your suggestions to make an informed decision. Thanks for your help.

Asked by Cherry on Jun 9th 2008 in Pet Insurance

Best Answer

The Wisconsin cats

We have tried pet insurance. We started with VPI and were not happy with that company - one rep was rude and with a $50 deductibe per incident it really wasn't worth it. We had Petshealth Care Plan too. They had a $100 annual deductibe, but when the plan renewed they denied Mickey's asthma medicine. When Mom called to ask why they informed her that when the plan renews it like a completly new plan and his asthma is now considered pre-existing. This was of course worded fairly vaguely (and in fine print) on the plan - their way of getting out of paying for chronic conditions. We cancelled. My advise: pet insurance is NOT worth it. We are going to give our vet a check each month to put on out account for emergencies.

The Wisconsin cats answered on Jun 9th.

Answers

♥ Suey ♥

We have pet insurance for our two kitties. We go through Petplan, underwritten by Allianz (Australia). It is $250 each/annum for $9000 cover. It includes an amount for advertising and reward if one of them is stolen or goes missing, an amount for boarding if I am hospitalised, and an amount to cover a cancelled holiday if they go missing or are involved in a life threatening event within 7 days of departure.

My first bit of advice is to check the underwriters. Make sure they are a reputable company. It is also worth checking different consumer websites to read reviews of different plans. This allows you to see examples of how a plan has been good or bad. Find out about what happened to the previous answerer- what happens with conditions when you renew.

Review how necessary elements of the plan are. We could have upgraded to a higher plan, but it was really aimed at pedigree cats- it included refunding of purchase price if the cat is lost or passes away.

♥ Suey ♥ answered on 6/9/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sam

We have VPI, I have yet to use it (fingers crossed) and it doesnt really seem worth it.

Sam answered on 6/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer