Dylan (bob dylan)

Hi, my name is Dylan(bob Dylan) and My mom catches me panting after I play.Mom has only seen this when cats get stressed

I am only 2 1/2 years old, and have trouble keeping my weight down. I broke my back leg last fall,and it had to be amputated. Now, It does take alot of effort to hop around and play. I want to be running. but have to sit down every 5 feet or so, because my good back leg gets tired quickly. I get board easily, so just want to eat like I used to, but mom started measuring my low cal.food better and picking up the dog food before I steal it.. I also get put in the house when it gets too hot in my patio room. (Warm to me is only about 85 degrees) This is also when I sometimes pant. Is this somewhat normal behavior? My mom doesn't think so, because she has had many cats in her life. Most cats would love to sit in the warm sun on an 85 degree day. I have been to a vet after I healed from surgery, but not for this. Does is sound like a problem?

Asked by Dylan (bob dylan) on Aug 19th 2012 Tagged panting, excersize, overweight in Exercise

Answers

I've honestly never seen a cat pant, but that doesn't mean they don't. I have a 3-legger dog and while it does take her more effort to get around, it doesn't slow her down. Since you may have some weight issues, it would be a good idea for you to go back to the vet and get checked out, especially your heart and lungs. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong, but we'd just like to make sure.

I had a cat who panted after stressful situations, like a trip to the vet. In fact, he'd come over, look me in the eye and make sure I saw him do it. Someone told me it can be a sign of heart problems. They were right. He died suddenly at about 7-1/2 years old. The vet said it was probably a heart attack, but the only way to diagnose the problem is when the heart is beating. I'd get him checked out.