Hi I am thinking about getting two kittens, but am worried that I won't be able to give them the time they need

Hi I am thinking about getting two kittens, but am worried that I won't be able to give them the time they need,
I live in a flat where a cat flap isn't possible so they would have to be mostly house cats, I could let them out into my garden when I am home but I work 2 jobs so there are days where I leave the house at 7.30am get back home about 5pm but leave pretty much straight away until 10pm
would it be cruel to get cats under these condictions?

Asked by Member 1130595 on Sep 13th 2012 Tagged newowner, enoughtime in Choosing the Right Pet

Answers

I wouldn't say it's cruel, exactly, but do you really have time for them? Cats are independent and even moreso if they're outdoor cats, which Catster doesn't recommend since outdoor cats face so many dangers. However, cats still need human interaction and socialization including grooming, vetting, feeding, pan scooping, cuddles, playtime, etc. If they are kittens and not socialized enough, they could become destructive out of boredom and unfriendly. You might entertain the idea of adopting an older, settled cat who would only require the minimum of attention and would be content to spend her days on a sunny windowsill whether you are there or not.

♥ Aiden ♥

The above answer has good points. Also to mention kittens are a lot more work than an adult cat. Some might try to chew wires or their curiosity could lead them into problems that you wouldn't be there to keep them out of. If you're worried about two getting along if you get adults, you could contact some rescues and see if any of them have a young bonded pair of adults.

It's much more difficult to adopt them like that and often times the bonded pair end up separated because of it. They would keep one another entertained, already likely be socialized and have good house manners. Adopting two kittens together won't guarantee that they'll get along for life.

♥ Aiden ♥ answered on 9/14/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer