Samson

Hi Everyone! We are moving to a new apartment in July... on the 3rd floor. Mom would love to let us out on the balcony

any suggestions for kitty-proofing this area?

Asked by Samson on Jun 10th 2009 Tagged apartment, balconey, balconyrdfloor in Lodging

Answers

My personal opinion is that Samson should not be allowed on the balcony. When I moved into an apartment with an incredibly long and wide balcony, I immediately let my cats out to play there. Well, Boku fell three stories down, and fortunately didn't suffer any injury but a cut next to the eye that healed quickly. Later, I learned that cat deaths resulting from falls from balconies are not uncommon. Inside-only kitties live longer than cats who are allowed outside. If your cats really, really need fresh air, try the walking with a leash route, or put them in a stroller. If the world were perfect, all cats could lead indoor/outdoor lives, but the truth is that balconies are dangerous. Someone may be able to give you better advice on this, but since cats are jumpers, unless you have a roof on your kitty playground, there's always the danger of Kitty deciding to jump. Three floors may not end in death--or it might. Take my advice, and make Samson an indoor kitty.

I'm with Leila. I've seen cats jump very high and fit through window openings I never thought they could fit through. If you must let your kitties out on the balcony, I would check with management and see if you can have a professional contractor come over to screen in the balcony. But, if it were me, I'd invest in a few harnesses and leashes and train them to get their outside time that way. I just wouldn't feel comfortable putting my babies in danger that way.

Wilson sweet baby Angel

We live on the third floor of apartment and we have closed it in with fencing. We went to the local gardening store and bought some of this hard plastic fencing that you would use in the garden and it works great for us. A few people in the same complex have done the same thing with no problems. YOu could also use Chicken wire fencing. There are proffesional cat enclosures that you can put on balconeys, but they are very expensive.
Though if you are intrested just google search for apt. cat enclosures.
Good luck :)

Wilson sweet baby Angel answered on 6/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Levi

Put up a kitty proof fence around the balcony that way the cats wont jump off or fall off.

Levi answered on 6/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer