FLO

HEY, HOW DO U GET YOUR CAT TO COME TO YOU RIGHT AWAY?

I REALLY DON'T NOW HOW TO GEY MY CAT TO COME TO YOU RIGHT AWAY!

Asked by FLO on May 14th 2010 in The Adoption Process

Answers

Unfortunately, it's a lot harder to teach a cat to come when called than a dog. In my case, I've learned that cats usually come for food and/or treats. Lily comes in the house when I call her, but I always give her her favorite "Temptations" treats. Izzie's the same way. Shake the food canister and he pops out of nowhere. Now, if it's serious and your cat is outside and ignoring you, then you probably should keep her inside for her own safety. Cats pretty much do what they want to when they want to.

Good luck with that. I have to agree with Izzie. Cats have selective hearing and they pretty much come when THEY feel like it, not when you command (unless there is food or treats involved) I have seven all trained the exact same way by me from 8 weeks old and Chelsea is the only one that comes running when she is called. In fact, she comes running when I call any of them. They all know their names and will turn their head to look at me when I say their name, but only come if they feel it is to their advantage to admit they heard me. Oh and Blaze, for some reason she comes right away if you whistle. Her Daddy taught her that and she's happy with a scratch on the head when she comes. But make sure there is some sort of reward for coming when called, even if it's just a cuddle.

Shadow

Ive owned 3 cats in the last 12 months and ive found cats own humans not the other way around lol and they come when they want to :)

Shadow answered on 5/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I understand your frustration, but your cat owns you, not the other way around. If you want a creature that comes IMMEDIATELY when called, get a dog (and even that is a dubious matter) or a human who depends on you economically. My cats seem to know their names, but the only one who comes when called is Leila, who responds to the names of any cat in the household, but only if the name is accompanied by a pitiful mewing sound. Otherwise, she lives in another dimension--I seriously believe that she is spends her off time in a time warp I have no access to. If I search for her in the limited space of my apartment, I cannot find her unless I imitate the meowing of distressed kittens (her kittens have never been distressed in real life). Using wand toys with jingle bells that make a noise will attract the attention of many (not all) cats. Try to find what your cat will respond to, and follow your cat's preferences. Have fun!

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a

Well I have a problem that my kitties are a bit too chummy. Tim is now draped over my arm as I type. From the time you get them just give them a lot of verbal praise and a pet when they come by. They will come and go as they wish so just reinforce when they come. Treats work but only give one or two and make a really big fuss along with verbal praise and pets, then transition to verbal and pets. Use their names often. Talk to them. My guys know the routines for morning, home from work, bed time, recliner, and, fun on weekends. They also listen to down! with a finger point of course. In time they will be underfoot and always on you so get a lint roller if you are dressed up often. I think when you plain old enjoy cats they enjoy you.

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a answered on 5/15/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mia

get a dog. they do that more efficiently.

Mia answered on 5/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer