HELP!! Pee Problems! We just got a new kitten & he has adjusted very well except for one thing: he pees in our bed!

Now, I know what you're all going to say: sick, not litter trained, not cleaning the sheets good enough - we've done it all!

He's not sick, we took him to the vet the first week we got him & he got a clean bill of health. His litter box is in our room, as we're letting him slowly acclimate to our apartment, & he uses it perfectly. Never any accidents on the floor or anything, even when he's home alone all day I never come home to any messes..

We have a high(er) bed, but he knows how to get up & down, I've watched him do it. I've even watched him jump down to use the litter box during the day. But for some reason at night he pees in the bed! We've tried everything; detergent with enzymes, odor eliminating spray, Feliway, nothing works. My husband even puts him on the floor several times a night to encourage him to use it just in case he's getting to comfy in the bed.

Does anyone have any solutions??

We have a small apartment, so our room is really the only place for him to sleep.

Asked by Member 1167027 on Apr 25th 2013 Tagged urinating, peeing, bed, night, kitten in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

You seem to have tried everything, and I know that adds to your frustration. Contrary to popular belief, many babies aren't born knowing how to use the box, and if MamaCat dropped the ball so to speak, Junior didn't get the memo. Try some "Cat Attract" litter to help things along. Also, we have a Springer Spaniel who has leaked urine at night all her life. There are medications he can be on to help his muscle control. And, even though you did the right thing by bringing him to the vet as soon as you got him, if he was not tested for a urinary tract infection, there is no way for the vet to know just from looking at him if he has one. The urine sample needs to be put under a microscope and if an infection is present, treated with an antibiotic. At night, he is fast asleep and loses control. That's what happens to Cady. That's the only time she has a problem, too. Call your vet and ask for their advice, but they will want to test his urine to rule out infection. Good luck!