Maisie

HELP! My new kitten's biting my other cats.

I have a new kitten called Romeo, he is 5 months & neutered. I've had him a month. I have a play pen that I put him in to let him and my other 2 cats see&smell each other but they can't hurt each other. They have stopped hissing at him so I tried introducing him to the younger cat. She's fine when I'm holding him, but when I let him go he paws her face and bites her neck, then she hisses. I have to keep them separate, the kitten runs around the house when the others are in my room and vice versa. He gets a lot of exercise so it's not pent up energy. I spray Felifriend around the house. Someone has said to let her paw him back so he learns his place but I'm unsure. I'm starting college soon so I won't be home constantly to watch them, and my parents have no idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Asked by Maisie on Aug 21st 2013 Tagged kitten, biting in Kittens

Answers

Every cat I know named Romeo is very feisty, haha. I agree to let her hit him. Keep supervising visitations until you leave for school. Then, he's on his own. Kitten claws are sharp, but the other cats should be much bigger and be able to put him in his place. You can give Maisie a SmartBite treat each time the older ones let the kitten play without reacting negatively to him. They should be tolerant of him after a few months. ^_^

Ghost

Romeo is just playing and testing his boundaries. When I got my new boy from the rescue his tag said, "The other kitties dont like me because Im too playful". It sounds like the behavior he exhibits with Ghost. They will lick heads, paw faces, bite ears, its just him trying to coax the other cat into play. Sometimes it works, sometimes ghost will hiss and say buzz off. He will learn his place but supervised play is advised until they get used to each other. Let her put him in his place, its how he will learn.

Ghost answered on 8/22/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Nicholas

Cats have to have a hierarchy. Big cats in the wild, dogs, wolves, all have to have this or they wouldn't be a balanced colony or pack. They have to find their place and it sounds as if Romeo wants to be the dominant one. It really doesn't matter who was there first or even age. They do have to work it out themselves and they will. Just monitor and don't intercept unless it gets too violent. Someone has to submit. And yes, the older ones usually correct and teach the little ones the rules. Biting the neck is how momma will correct her babies so that is just what cats do. Good luck!

Nicholas answered on 9/1/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer