Sookie

Help! My cat pooped in the house right in front of me!

Last night my 2 year old Siamese indoor cat started meowing a weird meow and circling around in the corner--then she just squatted down and pooped on the carpet right in front of me! She had access to her litter box, but she chose the living room floor...there have been no changes in her environment and no new animals...she appears healthy and it wasn't runny or anything...why would she do this? She has never done anything like this before...then I noticed that she had dug in a plant close to the area where she went, and she had urinated in the plant--I think when we were sleeping! What's going on??

Asked by Sookie on May 11th 2009 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Boris

Whenever a cat eliminates inappropriately, you want to take that cat to the vet. Deliberate elimination can be a way for your cat to tell you something is wrong, even though her routine appears normal.

Best case scenario, the vet finds nothing, and it was a one time thing. But I wouldn't wait for a repeat performance, because if you let it go for a while and your cat was actually sick, it can get more expensive than a simple vet visit.

Don't take my word for it, though. Call your vet, ask for his/her advice about it.

Boris answered on 5/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Boris is right - your cat needs to see a vet to determine if there is a medical reason for the inappropriate elimination. Make sure you use a good enzymatic cleaner to clean the area. Cats' noses are much more sensitive than ours and if she can still smell it, she may be tempted to repeat the crime. Also, has anything changed? New litterbox? New brand of litter? Is the litterbox clean? Has the litterbox been moved recently? New pet, baby, or routine in the home? If there's no medical reason for the inappropriate elimination then it's behavioral. Either way, your cat is trying to tell you something. Start with a trip to the vet first though.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 5/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer