Help! My cat keeps peeing on my new couch. What do I do?

We have a mama cat and 2 of her kittens that are now 2 1/2 years old (I would guess Mama is a year older than them). I found Mama a few days before the kittens were born and we couldn't part with them. In the 2+ years that we've had her, Mama has occasionally peed in inappropriate places like clothing left on the floor.

In June, I got a new couch and Mama has decided it's her favorite place to pee. I've reprimanded her for peeing on the couch and praised her endlessly for peeing in the right place.

A couple of weeks ago she got a urinary tract infection and I felt like I couldn't reprimand her for peeing in bad places because of her condition and gave her extra praise when she goes in the right place. She continued peeing on the couch, our bed and other undesirable places. Now the UTI is gone and she's taken the peeing to the next level...when I'm sitting on my couch she pees directly next to me (and consequently on me)! This has happened twice now. Please help!

Asked by Member 1131459 on Sep 19th 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

Have you had her urine tested to be absolutely sure the UTI is gone? Sometimes they're stubborn and it takes more than one round of antibiotics to clear them up. Unfortunately, like humans, once you get one, you seem to be prone to them. It really sounds like she has no control if she pees right next to you. If she's not spayed and either are her kittens, this needs to be done asap. Set out more boxes and make sure each cat has her own box. Don't change locations or litter. Clean up all her spots with an enxym or oxy cleaner. You can try plug-in Feliway near the boxes but I've had limited success with that. There is also "cat-attract" litter. I really think that sometimes it becomes a habit. When we moved, Delilah started using the rug in the spare bath and I had to eventually stop putting rugs in there. She also uses my tub occasionally as a litter box. I just leave a few inches of water in there or (insert resigned sigh here) just scrub the tub before I use it.

Maronette

Hi! Sometimes when a cat who doesn't normally pee in the house and knows how to pee outside (litter box/soil) suddenly starts peein in the house like on the couch where everyone can see because it is their way of telling you that it is not well (except for male cats who are not spayed!). It needs your attention and care. It can be urinary tract infection or any other virus. Observe the colour of her urine. Maybe you're giving too much attention to her kittens and not her. So feed her well and let her drink plenty of water. Each time she's about to pre on the couch, carry her to thelitter box. If she still continue, see if she whine when she owes, if she does, you need to bring her to a vet.

Maronette answered on 9/19/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer