Help! My cat is becoming skittish because of stray cats fighting at night?

Ok so my cat is 11 months old, he's male and fixed. Up until about a month ago he was the most amazing cat I had ever met, friendly, playful and just fantastic to be around.

Since breeding season (it's spring here) we've had stray cats fighting in our next door neighbours yard at night. My cat is indoors and safe but the noise is scaring him and we have no way to soundproof our house. He's become jumpy and skittish refusing to come to even me, he's started eating less and won't use the litter box inside (he also goes outside as he is allowed out during the day) unless we close the blinds to our large glass door.

I'm really worried about the stress this is causing him (he hasn't been in any fights). He's gone from being a trusting loving kitten to a frightened cat who hides behind the lounge any time we come near him.

I don't want him to be like this as he grows into an adult.

It's so heartbreaking and I want to help him but I don't know how to make the strays stop.

Please help

Asked by Member 1198037 on Nov 6th 2013 Tagged kitten, help, problem, fighting, strays in Kittens

Answers

Do your neighbors hear the sounds and are they annoyed too? If so, offer to eradicate the problem with spraying cat repellent (regularly until the problem is remediated and according to the directions) around both properties at your expense. If they have an outside cat, the plan will not work, but you can still spray the perimeter of your property so the strays will not want to come any closer. Also buy your cat a climbing tree and a cat nap sack so he has safe places to go when feeling afraid besides under the bed, etc. ^_^