help??? my cat has been sneezing and coughing and has clear liquid coming from eyes mouth and nose

he is 1 1/2 never been to the vet. indoor/outdoor cat!! I lost my job and don't have the money for a vet!! please tell me anything I can do to help him!!

Asked by Member 793677 on Jan 17th 2009 in Alternative Treatments

Answers

Freckles (1993-2011)

He's probably got an upper respiratory infection (URI). This is a virus, like a human cold, and he should get better in 1-2 weeks. It's more serious for a cat than for humans with a cold. He should get well on his own but there are a couple of things you need to watch for.

His sense of smell is probably weak from the URI. Cats won't eat if they can't smell their food. If he won't eat give him the smelliest wet cat food and warm it so it smells more. If he still won't eat you'll have to hand feed him. Put the food on your fingers and rub on the roof of his mouth. Try using a high calorie suppliment like Nut-Rical that you can get at PetSmart if he won't eat much.

As long as the liquid coming from his nose/eyes is clear it is a virus. If it thickens and turns yellow or green then an infection has set in and he'll need antibiotics ASAP.

If he won't eat or if he gets an infection then you definitely need to take him to a vet for treatment ASAP or he could die

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 1/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

If you have a local shelter that you can get to, there are times when they offer vet care at very reduced costs. They are listed in the phone book and on the Internet.