Help me help my cats get along better

Any help or suggestions appreciated! I got my 2 older cats together 11 years ago so they have grown up together. A year ago I got a female kitten to add to the family. My older boy and her seem to be fine they play and she really doesn't bother him. My older girl didn't like her she just didn't want the little one near her. Now almost a year later the older one growls and hisses whenever the little one comes near but the little one will run at her and try to hit her. I can't tell if she is trying to play or is being aggressive. She never hisses or gets mean she just always tries to hit her and run after her. If everyone is calm on the bed at night they will sleep near one another but that's about it. It has also made my older one hiss at her brother and they don't cuddle or play like they used to. I feel horrible I messed things up but I am hoping there might be something I'm missing that might help :( (I did try feliway and that didn't work.)

Asked by Member 1093048 on Nov 4th 2012 in Socialization

Answers

Don't feel guilty. It's not like you did it on purpose. It sounds like the baby is trying to get crabby big sis to play. When Izzie feels like playing, he chases after Delilah and Lizzie, too, and more often than not he gets bopped on the nose or head for his efforts. Cats do growl and hiss, that's the way they communicate. As cats age, they do tend to settle down and that could be what's happened to your's. They are also both senior citizens at the age of 11, and if they haven't been to their vet's for a while, they should go to be checked out. Don't let the baby torment the older lady. Play with her yourself to wear her out so she leaves her alone. But as long as there's no outright attacking going on, this is probably just how the order of things will go for you.