Help! I think my cat is obsessed with food?!

So I have a 10 month old cat and he seems to always be hungry. Even after I feed him a couple hours later he's acting like he's starving, his sister doesn't appear hungry at all. If I stand up from the couch he will jump up and run to the kitchen meowing his head off! Sometimes he will sit in the kitchen meowing. If I'm cooking he jumps on the counters meowing and does the same when I'm eating. I don't know what to do to get him to stop ?

Asked by Member 1198029 on Nov 6th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

First off, switch them from kitten to indoor cat food (like MaxCat in salmon) if he is getting pudgy, since they are almost a year old anyway. You need to ignore his begging, or he will do it all the time because he knows you will come (like screaming kids do with tantrums). Start with spraying him with a water bottle whenever he does it. My cat liked the bottle because we live in the south, so I added 1/3 white vinegar... problem solved. It's the food kind and completely safe to use. Also, the vinegar keeps the water in the spray bottle from getting moldy, and he'll learn quick. When he does what you want, then give him one treat (like a feline Greenie) and LEAVE. ^_^