Socks

Help getting two cats used to each other

I am having trouble getting my two cats used to each other. we were fostering a mom with five kittens and decided to keep the mom. during the two weeks we had all of them I thought that socks was getting used to her scent but I have been putting Night in her kennel (blanket over it) and then placing socks in her safe room to get him used to her smell and presence. Night is a very timid girl and never makes a sound but Socks has been producing sounds I've never heard him make. He growls, hisses, spits, and yowls. I've never been afraid that he would hurt me before, but he's starting to scare me. I also have been placing Night in her kennel in the room he's been staying and the effect is pretty much the same. He hides under the blanket, hisses and generally looks miserable. He's lived with other cats before and been fine so I'm not sure what the problem is. It's been about four weeks now and nothing has changed. I was wondering if you guys had any techniches I could use or even artificial stuff to make him calm down. Thanks for any advice!

Asked by Socks on Nov 16th 2011 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Rukia NOW AN ANGEL

try keeping them in two separate rooms that conjoin. then when you feed them make sure the bowls are on opposite sides on the door separating the rooms. I to am having trouble adjusting to my mammas foster kitties but I was also always a only kitty. This worked for her previous cats.

Rukia NOW AN ANGEL answered on 11/20/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You don't say if the cats are neutered/spayed or not, but if not, you'll be fighting an uphill battle until this is all done. Fixing a cat is not the solution to all problems, but it does go a long way to helping them get along. They no longer have to worry about all those hormones and competing with each other for mates. If your cats have not been to a vet recently, there may also be health issues.