is spazing out a bad sign?

Asked by Member 551248 on Dec 28th 2007 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Morgana - forever my soul

When is your cat 'spazzing out'? Is it when there's lots of excitement or noises around? Or is it when you try to pet her or handle her? Really, the answer would depend on what the situation is like when she does this.

So it could be a bad sign in the sense of a very nervous, timid, or excitable cat. Or it could be a normal sign if she's reacting like this to extreme (to her) noise or sensory overload.

However it is, go slow, be gentle & patient. Stay calm & quiet around her until she feels comfortable with whatever causes this.

Morgana - forever my soul answered on 12/28/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You don't give much detail. It may just be cat or kitten crazies which causes them to put their ears back and run around wildly just for the fun of it. Both my Ernie and Izzie do this occasionally. If your cat has not been to a vet, take him/her to make sure that he/she can see and hear normally. It's possible that, if he/she is having problems with vision or hearing, little things may startle him/her and cause the "spazzing out". It's also possible your cat might have some sort of neurological condition that may cause seizures that you interpret as "spazzing out". If your cat is a rescue who has lived in more than one home, a young kitten or if you live in a super-active household, this may be stressing your cat out. I would definitely take your cat to the vet and have it checked out.