Hello all, I was wondering if I could get an opinion on something that happened to my cat. She went in to our vet 3 day

Hello all,

I was wondering if I could get an opinion on something that happened to my cat.
She went in to our vet 3 days ago to get her teeth removed, they were really really bad. He called and said that everything went well and that he actually managed to save 3 teeth in front that we estimated that would also have to go. I went to pick her up and realised that she was dead. Needless to say I completely broke down, she was only 4 years old. I know this isn't common, and also know she wasn't the strongest of cats, but do you recon she died due to a mistake? Should he have known better then to put her under? Also, she went to have her nails clipped 1 week before, and becaise she freaked out he gave her a jab to calm her down. Does this play any role? I just can't get my head around the fact that she died when she only went in to get 6 teeth extracted.

I would love to hear someones opinion on that.

Thank you!
Ileana

Asked by Member 1134800 on Oct 8th 2012 in Loss of a Pet

Answers

Batfink

Im so sorry for your Loss, Ileana. Things must be very difficult, and i know its sometimes feel better to have a reason or to point some blame , but im not sure your vet is to blame here.
Your kitty was so young, but there is always risks when a kitty goes under for an operation,And for something like a tooth extraction im sure there was no other way that to put her under, and i feel the Vet shoulve made you aware of these risks,alhtough im sure the vet thought everything was fine too, None of us want our animals to suffer, and she was having treatment for things that were making her uncomfortable,in the end she didnt suffer...now youve got to heal and try not to blame yourself or anyone else, its just one of thos things, if its helpful maybe try arrange to meet your vet to chat about what happened? go through everything with them and try to find some reason or explanation, it may help you,i hope you are well,im so sorry . x

Batfink answered on 10/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I am so sorry for your loss! I, too, lost a cat this way. She was a Katrina rescue I adopted and since we had no health history on her, we were going "blind" on her medical issues. She died under anesthetic also. My vets called and were in tears when they told me. I do disagree with sedating any animal for grooming or claw trimming. It would have been best if they'd just not done her claws. If you have any doubts about this vet, I would suggest that when you adopt another cat, you find another vet you are comfortable with. But, as Batfink says in his excellent advice, things like this happen. We are sending hugs and prayers your way.