''Hazel' my crazy and beloved DSH has a prominent ridge-back. I've never heard of such a breed or trait in cats.

Hazel has a thickish grey and white coat with the white markings on her face, paws and abdomen. Nothing unusual there. But on the lower two thirds of her back there is a thin line of long, coarse (almost as coarse as her whiskers) white hair ending at her tail. Hazel is petite. has the voice of a loud Siamese (that she likes to exercise) and has an outgoing personality (understatement!).Is she genetically unique, rare, or common?

Asked by Member 656088 on Jul 16th 2008 Tagged ridgeback, breed, trait in Domestic Shorthair

Answers

Howie

Hi there--
My name is Howie and I too have a mohawk on my back, as mommy likes to call it.
The fur that lies on top of my backbone is a little more coarse, longer, and stands up. I don't know if you can see it in my pictures, but you sure can feel and sculpt it. The hair on the top of my tail is different too (longer and darker), but my tail is so skinny you can't really tell.

And based on your description, we even may look like each other. Maybe it has to do with the coloring? I've never known another ridge-back kitty, so maybe it is rare. :-)

Howie answered on 7/16/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer