Have a cat, but want to get a new kitty for him to play with..

My kitty Hobbs is about 9 months old, but my boyfriend's mother has a kitten that's only 3 weeks..but when it gets old enough I want to bring it home for Hobbs to play with since both my boyfriend and I are gone at work all day. I'm not sure how Hobbs would react, and I wont be able to give the kitten back if he doesn't like it...help!

Asked by Member 992339 on Jun 13th 2010 Tagged new, kitten, bringanothercathome, should, adoption, adopt in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a

It is wonderful that you are giving a kitty a home. Inside kitties live a long happy life so you are making a good friend. Keep the kitten in a separate room for a few days so her scent becomes familiar to Hobbs. Start the real introduction on a Friday when you get home. They may be a little territorial at first but in most cases this is gone in a day. They are young so they will enjoy each other and have good fun. Make sure you treat each equally so there is no jealousy. My Tim loves to come to bed for a goodnight pet. Through patience I always petted him on the Right. I petted Toby on the left. They rush in like anything every night and get a good pet. They go off and are back when it is time to get up. By the way-you will not need an alarm anymore. Your kitties will make sure you are up to give morning pets. PS When Buddy came he took the Right side half-way to the foot of the bed. Cats are better with routine than people in most cases... Purrs

Timmy Tomcat DB #122a answered on 6/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hershey

Well, speaking from experience, when I brought my kitten home, he didn't like my old cat too well. But, I'm only a kid, so I didn't know how to raise a cat properly. Over time, Hershey grew to like Precious, and they went from constantly fighting to helping each other clean themselves and sleeping on the same bed during naps. If you have a nice, calm cat, make sure you raise the kitten to be the same. But, if you have a playful cat, a playful kitten would be just what he needs. If you see them fighting at any time, don't be worried. It's the kittens way of learning how to hunt, it's simply play-fighting.

Hershey answered on 8/6/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer