has anyone ever had a cat with ulcers in his mouth? Mine can hardly eat and they say I should put him to sleep.

I give him prednisone and he feels better and feed him can food but he is still getting skinny....let me know

Asked by Member 543336 on Jan 25th 2008 in Alternative Treatments

Answers

Sophia- In Loving Memory

I don't have any experience with this particular issue, my only recommendation would be to get another vet's opinion. We almost decided to put Sophia down on one vet's opinion and thanks to another vet's treatment she lived another very happy 2 years.

Sophia- In Loving Memory answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree. One thing I heard this week on this page that really made sense to me is to get another opinion, and please don't wait if your cat is already losing weight from not eating. Also, make sure he isn't getting into anything that is causing the ulcers in his mouth. There are many specialists out there now and Veterinary Referral Clinics you can visit--look in the phone book or go to yellowpages.com. Providing he doesn't have any internal concerns, he may need to be tube fed to build up his strength. Good luck!

Mozza (forever loved)

Cats don't just get mouth ulcers. They develop for a reason - the reason being something is wrong elsewhere in his body. Cats with chronic renal failure (crf) often develop them from high levels of uremic wastes in their blood plus some other factors. One of my strays I adopted had crf & I cared for her for 2+ years. I became familiar with dealing with some of the problems assoc'ed with crf. Please go to this link & read the suggested treatments for mouth ulcers. www.felinecrf.org

I also suggest finding another vet & having a full blood work done for your kitty as something else serious is happening with him. There are a few possible reasons for him getting mouth ulcers. You want to find out what it is & how treatable it is. The sooner you find out, the better the prognosis. A simple plan of care may be just what he needs to rally round. I hope so for you both. A good vet will be honest with you & not just write him off by saying put him to sleep.

Mozza (forever loved) answered on 1/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Athena (In Memory)

I agree with Isadore. My cat is in the beginning stages of renal (kidney) failure and ulcers are one of the conditions that can develop. Follow Isadore's links for further information and ask friends, neighbors and co-workers for excellent veterinary references. Prednisone cannot be used continually as it can compromise other body organs. Our purr prayers go with you.

Athena (In Memory) answered on 1/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Scottie

My brave angel brofur Elliott, who went to the Bridge from complications of chronic renal failure, was given carafate for his mouth ulcers, and also injectable famotidine for the increased tummy acids.
Your kitty needs to go see the vet, find another one if need be. Prednisone isn't the answer for this problem. And you kitty is fixable!

Scottie answered on 1/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hunter

It may be stomatitis
www.petplace.com

You should definitely have kitty tested for felv/fiv as many kitties with mouth ulcers can have whether of these diseases.

I would seek a second opinion.

Hunter answered on 2/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer