Mollie

Has anybody ever had a cat who experienced 'acne'? I cannot seem to help my kitty-cat, Mollie, shake it.

Has anybody ever had a cat who experienced 'acne'? Mollie is five years old and only stays inside. I noticed she was starting to get "dirt" underneath her chin two or three months ago. I brought her to the vet where they gave her an antibiotic. I had her on it for less than a week, but her eating decreased so I discontinued it. She has a ceramic food and stainless steel water dish. I can't seem to help her get rid of it. I've tried benzoyl peroxide, but I swear it made it worse. I've also tried hydrogen peroxide, triple antibiotic ointment, and iodine which only resulted in her looking silly with an orange chin.

I feel like a bad mom for not being able to help her. She's my baby. I just want her to heal up before anything becomes infected.

Asked by Mollie on May 20th 2013 Tagged acne in Skin Problems

Answers

I have a cat that has chin acne as well. The vet told me that some cats just get it. She also told me not to use ceramic bowls because over time, they can develop microscopic cracks and hold bacteria even after a hot wash. I have stainless steel bowls now and wash them daily with soap and hot water but she still has it!

If nothing else is working, just accept the fact that she has acne and make sure that she doesn't get any infection by wiping her chin with a cotton ball dampened with a very mild baby soap and luke warm water solution. Try and get fragrance free so she will think you're just grooming her like her mama did. You can even reassure her more by making licking sounds while you do it. Gracie goes into kitten trance mode when I do this to her!