Philbert

Getting cats teeth cleaned soon. advice?

At Phil's last checkup, the vet said he would probably need hi teeth professionally cleaned at his next checkup (in a month) I've never had a cats teeth professionally cleaned before. is there anything I should do to prepare him? or ask about? I'm worried about them putting him under in order to do it.

advice please!

Asked by Philbert on Jan 5th 2010 in Dental Care

Answers

It's a fairly simple procedure, but one that is important to have done to prevent dental disease which can ultimately prove fatal. Ask about pre-surgery blood work and have it done. It's money well spent. It tells the vet if a patient is healthy enough to undergo anesthesia. Don't worry, Philly will be fine!!

Harvey

Phil is still a young cat, so he should have no problems with anesthesia (unless your vet is totally incompetent). Harvey had to have his gums trimmed when he was still a kitten because of gingivitis. While he was under, the vet also neutered him. He had surgery in the morning, and was alert and himself when I picked him up in the evening. If you trust your vet, all should be fine.

Harvey answered on 1/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Buck & Jiggy

Don't want to scare anyone, but I had my 3 year old cat's teeth worked on, and we lost her. She had lost her small front teeth. Her mouth smelled like death and I knew she had bleeding gums. Two different vets recommended a dental cleaning. The vet I chose advised that 2 teeth would need pulled. After the procedure, I was called and told that 11 teeth had been pulled. I was in shock. Also, they charge per tooth! I thought my kitty was feeling better, but 10 days post op, we came home and found her having a seizure. We lost her during the seizure. She had never had a seizure before. We don't know what caused the problem, if it was her poor health to begin with, or the fact that they pulled too many teeth possibly releasing a lot of infection into her bloodstream, or the anestheisa or pain meds. I just wish I had been given more info on the possible adverse events. I was left with a $400+ vet bill and no Elsie :-(

Buck & Jiggy answered on 6/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer