Frodo

Getting a new cat playmate for our 1.5 year old male kitty.

His brother recently died really suddenly, probably from a seizure. Frodo seems lonely and kind of clingy to us. He's 1.5 years old and neutered. He is friendly and likes to play and wrestle but can sometimes be stand off ish. We are more than likely going to go to a shelter near by since they will be more knowledgeable about the personalities of the cats they have.

We are planning on slowly introducing them as is suggested on this site, like through a closed door, etc. Does any one have suggestions as to a male vs female or older vs younger playmate?

Asked by Frodo on Jan 4th 2012 Tagged newcat, introductions in Socialization

Answers

Hazel Basil

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty lose. How tragic to lose him so young and so sudden. I hope you are all doing ok. I am currently in the process of adopting another cat myself and have opted to go for an older cat. I am getting another female and she is not spayed yet but we plan to once she is settled on with us. A lot or websites will say getting a younger cat is best but please don't let a cats age determine its adoptability. Even if a cat only has one more year to live it should be in a loving home. My current cat is 2 and the new cat is 6. A lot of people say get a kitten because the introduction process is shorter and easier but the best things in life take longer than the easy way sometimes. As far as the gender a lot of websites say the opposite and spayed/neutered however getting a neutered male is ok for your current cat because then there won't be any spraying. Please strongly consider an adult cat. They need love too!!! Good luck and keep us updated!

Hazel Basil answered on 1/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hazel's advice is excellent! When I worked in animal rescue and did cat adoptions for them, we always did extensive questioning of the potential adopters about their lifestyles, the personalities of their other animals, their values and opinions of spay/neuter, declaw, letting cats outdoors, etc. We weren't being nosey, just wanted to make the best match to avoid traumatic returns. We strongly discouraged "impulse" adoptions based on the cat's color, fur length, etc. I have always added older cats to my zoo. I have a predatory Husky/Shepherd and if I got a kitten, I know it would end tragically. As Hazel said, there are millions of homeless older cats who need homes. My most recent acquisition is Lizzie, who is 3 or 4. She was in a room for a day and under the bed for a week. I let her decide when she was ready to join the gang. She and Izzie, my Maine Coon mix, are best friends. I firmly believe in letting the cat decide how it will join the family. Rely on the shelter to help!

Teary (a.k.a

Poor little hobbit cats- I'm sure Frodo is still grieving his loss right now but you're probably correct in assuming he doesn't want to be adventuring all alone for the rest of his life, which I hope will be long and full!

My foster family has worked with cat adoptions for years and not seen any real correlation between genders pairings and getting along- if there is a real life basis to opinions on that they probably apply much more to cats who haven't been fixed or were fixed late in life. And age isn't nearly as important as activity level and dispositions. It sounds like he is of average energy level for a 1.5 year old so a kitten on the somewhat mellow side or a middle-aged cat who is fairly active should keep up with and not overwhelm him. He may prefer a new cat who is willing to let him be the alpha, so a cat known to be generally submissive to other cats is also preferable. Good shelters or foster parents should be able to tell you who is or isn't suitable for the job!

Teary (a.k.a "Bob"-Adopted!) answered on 1/5/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer