Lightning

Frightend Cat

We have recently just got a cat who is 4 years old called Brian. His previous owners said they think he had been bullied abit by their dogs but I think it might have been worse than they realised. Now Brian is scared of everything - even the slightest noise frightens him. He is terrified to come down stairs and hides under my bed all day. How can I build his confidence again?

Asked by Lightning on Jan 12th 2013 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

In the new apartment, my cat spent the first 3 weeks buried under the covers, only coming out to eat, then hiding again.

He was very stressed by the packing up & things being slowly moved out over 4 weeks. He had to stay alone in the empty apartment for a day while I set up the new home b4 bringing him over. I think he thought I was leaving him and not coming back!!
He's fine now, but had a hard time adjusting initially. He's an indoor cat. With patience, cuddles & soft words, Brian should clam down when he realises that he can stay and be safe with you. Keep him indoors and happy.

Choco

How long have you had Brian? Usually it takes a cat two weeks or longer to adjust to being in a new environment, and since he is in a new home with new people, nothing is familiar to him, so of course he'd be scared. Just take your time and let him come out from under the bed by himself, and make sure to NOT force him out. Let him come to you. Once he accepts you, slowly introduce him to any other family members one by one. I'm sure you'll feel like you accomplished a big feat when he finally accepts you. Good luck!

Choco answered on 1/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer