Four month old kitten can't walk or stand up anymore.

I adopted a kitten from the humane society when he was about three and a half month old and now he is about four months old. He is a wonderful cat and a master snuggler but in past week or so he has been showing a severe signs of neurological problems.

Initially he had a fever which was treated by amoxicilin, and he suddenly started to wobble around. Now it has gotten so bad that if I put him down, he will simply fall over to his side and he will make little or no effort to get back up. I took him to a vet and the vet tried to convince me to get him put down which I would only consider as a last resort since I love my kitten very much. His problems seem to be very very severe and it seems to be getting worse every minute.

Has anyone had any experience with this? I am planning on taking him to another vet very soon but I am deathly worried about him and I want to explore all options. What can I do to help or stop it from getting worse?

Asked by Member 561768 on Jan 23rd 2008 Tagged walkingcatneurological in Health & Wellness

Answers

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you

I have very different ideas about "wuality of life" than many. you have to find a place that suits your heart.

I don't think a kitten who has a seriously hard time walking would have a great quality of life. but my real concern would be if he would have a *bad* quality of life. would he need shots routinely? Would holding him hurt (it can in some neurological disorders, but not in most). is he mentally acute enough to be annoyed at many vet visits or does he love the vet.

But i would get a more specific reason *why* the vet thought putting him down would be good. some neurological disorders are painful. some have no chance of getting better. some effect the brain in teh sense that the cat is seeing things. some are just benign and you (the cat) has to learn to walk while dragging your hind legs.

so i'd want to know EXACTLY why the vet thinks its the way to go. and then i'd ask "what kind of life is a good life, to me, my heart and emotions." Hugs to you and your kitten

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you answered on 1/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dulci is right and her mom put it beautifully. As pet lovers, we all face these tough decisions. Your vet went to school for a long time to recognize many diseases and conditions and whether or not they are treatable. If the doctor suggested humanely euthanizing your kitten, then he or she recognizes that there probably is no cure. Vets do not suggest this without considering all other options. As humans, we have the power to release our beloved animal friends from undue pain and suffering. No one said it is easy, and most of us have already been there, at least once. It hurts a lot to have to put any animal down, but when we acquire a pet, we also acquire the responsibility of doing what is best for the animal. God bless.

the kaya skye & shyloh paige

our kitten gracie mae abruptly became unable to use her limbs, could not walk, flopped over, had strange muscle tone...we never knew what happened. the deciding factor in putting gracie to sleep was that she was screaming like her nerves were on fire...and the vet said it might actually feel that way to her. from onset to the moment she died, gracie never stopped screaming. there was no way we could do that. when sedated, she cried in her sleep...it was unbearable.
now. your kitten, if he is not in the sort of obvious pain that gracie was in, is another story altogether. we helped gracie go because she was in agony and her body was shutting down anyway-just pitilessly slowly. if your kitty isn't screaming and crying, accepts comfort, seems aware of his surroundings...give him the gift of time and your own pain. sometimes there's nothing to be done-but sometimes it's our misery we're alleviating. if stephen hawking were a cat, would you put him down? consider tellington touch.

the kaya skye & shyloh paige answered on 1/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Oscar

My neighbor's outdoor cat was doing the same thing, also a kitten. I examined her and found rapid heartbeat, labored breathing, etc. She would just fall over and couldn't walk, but would still purr. I found a number of possible causes: rabies, trauma, poisoning, spider/snake bite. I could not find any virus that caused this which was my first concern since they were not vaccinated. Basically I knew that if she made it through the night, then she'd probably be okay since rabies will kill quickly, poisoning will kill or run it's course, etc. This has been 2 months and she's still alive. She still walks a LITTLE low to the ground but runs and jumps and plays. She does not fall over or even stumble. If you weren't looking for it, you wouldn't notice. I checked on her every day for 2 few weeks and it was a slow process. See if you can wait a few days and offer water or have your vet give an IV. My main concern was with dehydration/starvation. But maybe your baby will be fine too. :)

Oscar answered on 1/23/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You'll be sorry to hear this but our dog Bow was 15 years old and he would vomit everyday,blind,deaf, and could only walk on 3 legs. We had to put him to sleep and I suggest you do the same. Don't let it suffer It'll be in a better place.