Philbert

For how long do cats grow?

When I got Phil he was estimated to be about 2 years old, so he's going on 3 now. He was 12 lbs when I got him. he was a little on the thin side because of his bowel problems (his head looks ginormous! like a skinny model with a big head) and now he weighs almost 16 lbs! He's a totally mixed bag of treats as far as his heritage, but he is not fat at all. hes very long and slender and very muscular. he accidently breaks about every toy he gets, he even broke his Da Bird on the chain part!

I know some pure breed cats like MC, NFC, and Siberians can keep growing to thier full size for up to 5 or 6 years. Has anyone had a Moggie going on 3 and still growing? He's like a big doofy oaf that keep getting bigger, but I'm very careful about his diet as to not over feed him, but i don't think he's fat.

Asked by Philbert on Jan 13th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Adonis is still growing and he's 2 1/2 years old. My sister took Adonis' brother to the vet recently and he weighed in at almost 18 lbs and is just right weight wise. Just make sure that you can still feel his ribs under a slight padding and that his waist is still tucked in and he should be just fine.

My vet explained it this way: She said that even though Izzie's basic skeletal make-up was done growing at the age of a year, he will continue to "fill out" and his fur will get thicker and may even get a little longer and fuller, and that in itself makes a cat look big. He may get more muscular. But, she said that he probably won't weigh 24 or 25 pounds in 2 or 3 years, he may "just" get up to 16 or 17.

Tasso - Adopted

I had a moggie that grew that big but he obviously had MC in the mix. Yours probably has one of the larger breeds in his mix even though he is short haired.

Males can take a few years bulking up and adding bone structure. Loki looks like a thin waif at one year but now he looks like a big, fat, lazy male. Females seem to reach their full development sooner.

I'm about 14 lbs, skinny for a MC but I'm about 16" at the shoulder. MCs do take 4 years to reach their full size.

Tasso - Adopted answered on 1/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

More Questions in This Category