Mitzi

Feral/Shy kitten. Need advice!!

I adopted a kitten yesterday. She was found in a shed at 5 weeks old and looked after by a kind lady (who has also taken in her feral mum and sibling) She is around 10 weeks old. She has had handlin. But doesn't particularly respond to it (she hangs her head or hides it in an armpit) I have been allowed to touch and hold her (she doesn't bite or scratch) but firs chance she gets she'll get away and go in to hiding. I understand its early days but she hasn't eaten or drank and won't play. She was vet checked today and given first immunizations and other than a mild case of fleas she's fine. My question is; DO I LEAVE HER BE OR CONTINUE HANDLING HER? She is only young an I don't want to frighten her nor do I want to ignore her. My 2nd cat was a stray but a feisty one an couldn't resist the smell of food so came round easily!!!

Asked by Mitzi on Aug 5th 2014 Tagged kitten, stray, feral, shy, timid in Kittens

Answers

Be patient. Leave food and water in the room where she is hiding. Pull her out to show her where it is, and then if she wants to hide again, so be it. I'd handle her for at least 10 minutes once a day until she comes around. Don't let her outside for at least three months, or you might not see her again. Finally, feed her a kitten-only, healthy food (such as Natural Choice) and have a litter box somewhere nearby in the vicinity. ^_^

Honey Lovey Schmitt

Leave her be. I have one who's always under the bed. Fed her kitten food and put food and water under the bed. Wait about a month and then let her explore.

Honey Lovey Schmitt answered on 8/7/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer