Female mother cat suddenly aggressive towards male children

I have four cats, a female that is 2 years old and three males. My oldest male is 1 and 1/2 years old the other two are 7 months old. The two younger cats are brothers and my female is their mom. About a month ago I had my female fixed and up until then had no problem with my cats. However, after having the mother fixed she wants nothing to do her sons. She is fine with my other male, not the father, but wants nothing to do with the kittens. They use to sleep together and play. Now she does nothing but hiss and growl a them when they come near hear no matter what they are doing. Why has she suddenly started hating her sons and what can I do to help them get along again?

Asked by Member 1148096 on Jan 4th 2013 in Aggression

Answers

The only thing I can think of is that since you just had her spayed, she may still be giving off pheromones that the males, who are sexually mature are picking up on. Cats don't recognize familial bonds and mothers will mate with sons, etc. She's displaying behavior that a female cat would toward a male who wants to mate with her. If the boys aren't neutered, have that done as soon as you can. Until then, there isn't much you can do to improve her mood short of separating them.