female cat was spayed Monday, this is Friday and she has vomited twice today but other than that fine, Is this normal.

She is happy and doing great other than vomiting twice this morning, the food she is vomiting is like whole pieces of food. Is this normal after being spayed, she is drinking and eating fine and incision looks great. Should I be worried, this is my first animal I have ever had spayed just want to make sure she is ok.

Asked by Member 809325 on Feb 27th 2009 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Cats vomit regularly - it could be hairballs - has she been grooming a little more than usual? I would only be concerned if it continues for more then a day and there are other signs of distress like not drinking or being overly sleepy - just keep an eye on her and try mashing the food up. If there is anything unusual in the vomit like blood or if it has a lot of mucus in it I would call the vet just to be sure.

When cats are ill and/or in pain, the first sign is refusing to eat. The second is usually hiding under furniture. Another sign can be anti-social behavior. If your kitty is exhibiting none of these signs, then she's more than likely just eating too fast and swallowing too much air. When the air comes up, so does the food. Sometimes, the anesthesia from the spay stays in their bodies for a while and can make them vomit, but it's usually yellow bile and the kitty can be somewhat lethargic and "out of it." But, it truly sounds like your kitty just had a "productive belch." Of course, keep in mind that we are not vets here and our advice should not be taken as a substitute for a vet visit. If you are concerned about her behavior or if she start exhibiting some of the behaviors I mentioned above, you should call the vet who did the spay.

As the others say its probably nothing to worry about. To be on the safe side call your vet and describe what's happened and what the spay scar looks like. They'll be able to tell you if everything sounds normal or if you need to do anything or bring her in for a check.