Female cat was just spayed, please help

Cat was spayed 3 days ago and when looking at incision site tonight I noticed that it has been bleeding. Now, this is not a constant stream of blood or anything like that, just the area seems to have a bit of dried blood. Stitches seem to still be in place. I've had the kitten secluded in a room by herself and she has not been jumping around or anything. She is due to have the stitches removed in 7 more days. Should I just keep a watch on it and make sure it does not get worse or? Thanks!

Asked by Member 560847 on Jan 20th 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

♥Sam

I would call your vet clinic, and ask them. They may organise a time for you to come in. If not they'll have a history, just incase anything else pops up.

She may have just pulled at the stitches.

Before you ring, you may need to check the wound..
Is it clean?
Is it warmer than anywhere else on her body?.
Is it redder than normal?
Does it smell?
Is there any other discharge.
Is there a lump (this sometimes happens and usually goes away, but it may need checking)

It sounds like it's good. But if you check these before you ring your'll be able to answer some of the questions (if they do ask them).
Wishing you all the best Purrs Sam

♥Sam answered on Jan 21st.

Answers

Sam is right. Most of the time, with any incision on any of my animals, I'd look at the surgical site and go "eeee-w-w-w!" They don't look all that good. However, if you notice any sort of leakage or separating of the incision, it's time to call your vet to at least touch base with them. If your kitty has been licking at the incision, it could be irritated and she might need one of those big, white collars to keep her away from it. Don't worry--very few spays cause problems with kitties and you are probably more worried about it than your kitty is. Your vet will most likely just tell you to keep an eye on it.

Vladimir

Go Sam! Good answer!

My sis, Cama, had a bit of dried blood around her stitches and had pretty much been relaxing. As long as it's not swollen or hot and there is no unusual discharge, she's probably fine. Just be sure to call your vet and talk to them as well as keeping an eye on it. Sis pulled her stitches out after 3 or 4 days because she was having trouble cleaning the wound. Our vet said it was okay and mom kept a close watch on it too.

Vladimir answered on 1/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer