Zeppy

Female cat meowing on litter box should I be concerned? It's usually when she is scratching to clean not while going

My calico has a habit of meowing occasionally when on the litter box. I look and she appears to be going just fine . And it appears that she's meowing when cleaning up after herself and not while actually going but it's hard to tell cause she's a little skittish so if I get too close she'll stop going and run. She's a rather vocal kitty, however and will usually meow whenever she wants attention. I don't know if it's just that she wants attention when finished or what. If I say her name she stops meowing and runs over when finished.

Asked by Zeppy on Apr 15th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

If you're concerned about her elimination habits, you can always take her stool to the vet to have it checked. They can also do a check for a bladder/kidney infection but she'd have to go in for that. If you know your kitty, you know her "language". I can always tell when Ernie is warning Izzie that he's had enough "playtime". They also have meows for mealtime and snuggle time, when they're scared, happy or sad. If you feel Zeppy (LOVE the name) is meowing because it hurts her, then phone your vet to see what they want to do. Other than that, if everything looks normal and there's no blood in the litter box or on the sides,Zeppy is eating and acting normally, then I wouldn't worry.

In my opinion, meowing over the litter box causes alarm. Cats are highly susceptible to bladder and intestinal issues, especially infections! So, she might be experiencing pain while trying to pee in the litter box because of a urinary tract infection. Go to your vet and get her checked out. Try to take in a urine and fecal sample in with you.

I wish you luck! Hope you solve this mystery soon!
~Natasha

She might just "sing in the shower" so to speak. A test for an infection is always a safe bet, but if she's vocal by nature, it could be just that.