Female cat attacking male all of the sudden after getting along fine for over a year

When we got home from getting boots (our male) fixed, we didn't expect our female to be so vicious.. she chased him throughout the house and she had almost bitten his rear before we got her away from him. I'm really concerned for him because he's not supposed to be stressed after getting fixed. We've kept them apart for the past three days, and today when we tested to see if her behavior would change, sure enough it didn't. From what I understand it might be because of him being fixed she doesn't have any use for him anymore? I don't know, I just want to know if she'll eventually chill out because we'd hate to have to give one away. Would getting her fixed help?

Asked by Member 1156594 on Feb 22nd 2013 in Aggression

Answers

Your female is probably acting out this way because when the male returned from the vet clinic', even if he was only there for a few hours, he smelled different. He had been given meds and anesthesia which do take a few days to dissipate. He was probably kept in a cage with other cats and held by strangers (the clinic staff). In addition, he was weirded out by the whole experience and probably in some discomfort. Having the female spayed is a good thing for a number of reasons. It reduces the chances of "female" diseases, prevents pregnancy should she ever get out and also will calm her down. I've heard that wiping both cats down with a dryer sheet to make them both smell the same can help. I would continue to keep them separate, and if you try it again next week and it still goes the same, I'd call the vet to ask for their advice.