Murphy (Rainbow Bridge)

Facial tics.

Lately my cats face seems to twitch involunarily. Small jerky movements like facial tics. Usually when relaxed, but not always and not constantly. Otherwise seems normal. Is this some dread disease? He is way too combative to simply take to the vet (she can never get an exam) and I don't have a recorder. He is just turning six, I did change his food from Iams to Innova, and he throws up often w/hairballs.

Asked by Murphy (Rainbow Bridge) on May 19th 2008 Tagged twitching, facial tic, tics in Health & Wellness

Answers

Is it possible that he's dreaming? When Izzie or Ernie are on my lap, they jerk around, their paws move, their eyes "blink" and their mouths move. He may also be picking up something on his "radar" (whiskers) that you don't hear. If it gets worse, you may have to bite the bullet and get him to the vet's. Tics can be a sign of epilepsy in cats and it's best to have it checked out. Also, if he's throwing up hairballs, that's a normal cat thing...

Lily's face twitches a lot when she sleeps and naps. She looks really funny. Her wiskers flutter like she's talking, but no words are coming out of her mouth. I hope she's dreaming and not having nightmares. I once saw her front and back legs moving like she was running in her dream.

More Questions in This Category