Panda

Ever since I had my cat spayed she has changed. She wants nothing to do with me... Clean bill of health. No changes.

Before she was spayed she was very loving, social and active. Ever since I brought her home she has become a different cat. She is more aggressive and prefers to be alone. She wanted our attention all the time. We made jokes all the time that she was trying to steal my boyfriend, she loved him so much. Now if either of us touch her she moves away, growls, sometimes bites and/or swats at us. She doesn't play with her toys, chase bugs try to attack the people inside the tv anymore. I'm baffled and so sad. She was tested for feline leukemia, FIV, aids, etc. If there is a test, she's had it. No changes to her environment, food etc. She has gained quite a bit of weight but her diet hasn't changed. I miss my princess =( is there something I can do for her? I wish I could rewind and never have her spayed. She will be 3 in September.

Asked by Panda on May 29th 2012 Tagged behavior, spay, aggression in Aggression

Answers

I have never witnessed either spaying or neutering causing such a drastic change in a cat's behavior. I can almost guarantee you that unless she has contracted a secondary infection from the procedure, spaying did not cause this night and day mood swing in your cat. You did the right thing by having her spayed even if right now you aren't convinced of it. I would suggest calling the vet and chatting with them about your cat's sudden personality change. Sometimes things happen that we don't even realize could have had an impact on the cat. Your vet may pick up on it and make suggestions on how to handle it. Something is going on with her and talking with your vet may bring it to light. Good luck!

babies

This sounds like my baby. To the T. She was spayed at 1yr and ever since then she has not liked my husband and has been skidish. I also miss her loving ways.She is now 11. Don't be sad. In my opinion it wont get any worse and as long as she knows you guys care for she'll be fine.

babies answered on 5/30/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

sidney

wow i thought i would never see another person with the same problem , but i had a hysterectomy first and was a way for about a week from little sidney and then i i came to my parents house and my husband brought her here to stay with us , we had to get her spaded the next day , so me and her were in pain togeather , she could not sleep with me anymore because i did not want her to jump off bed and the bed i was in was a small bed , so after that , my baby that loved me and sleep with me and was in my arms all the time and was all about loving me all day long , did not want me at all , she turned to my husband and rubs up on his chin and puts her butt up in the air and purrs and loves him up every single day , i get smacked across the face and for no reason at all but there are times she will give me love in the early morning waiting for him to wake up , but yea i cryed my eyes out , i hope she comes back to you , i know how it feels

sidney answered on 6/2/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer