Philbert

Ever heard of a cats leg falling asleep?

something wierd jsut happened and I wonder if anyone else has ever experienced this. Phil was just sleeping with me prettymuch all afternoon in bed (I'm sick..not lazy :-p) and We finally got up and Phil got up too and was not putting any pressure on his from right leg! He was limping around and then would lay down and just sit there. I ran over to him and was touching his paw and his arm and moving it around and he wasn't meowing or pulling it away or reallyd oing anything with it, and would get up and limp around again, not putting any weight on his leg. he ate some food and came back into the living room and was putting a little weight on it, but still limping, and now he seems fine! is it possible that his foot was alseep? He's not a very graceful kitty so he may have been sleeping in a wierd position.

has anyone else ever has this happen before?

Asked by Philbert on Feb 1st 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I've never heard of it, but I won't say it is impossible. However, given how light a cat is, I wouldn't think putting their weight on anything would affect the circulation (making a limb go to sleep).

I wouldn't assume nothing is wrong just cause the leg seems fine. The leg, itself, could have no injury, but the problem could be in the brain or other part of the central nervous system. I would go to the Vet and soon. If the problem is in the central nervous system, it will surely require immediate attention.

Good luck!

Cats bascially have all thesame "equipment" as we do, and I don't see any reason why a cats leg couldn't fall asleep from a pinched nerve or blood vessel, or that Philly couldn't have been sleeping in a funny position and stiffened up. He could also have pulled a claw enough to be sore if he caught it on something. Or, he could have jumped funny and twisted something. I know you will keep a very close eye on him, but for your own peace of mind, call your vet just to ask if they want to see you and him.