Escaping & Adopting Questions

Hello,

1- Should i be afraid of my newly adopted kitten trying to escape every time i open the front door (PS: I live on the 3rd floor)
2- My friend's cat gave birth to 4 kitten, how old must the kitten be before adopting one from him ?

Asked by Member 1192575 on Oct 2nd 2013 Tagged escaping, adopting, kitten in Other Adoption & Rescue

Answers

First, YES that is a big problem. Yell at your kitten when s/he gets anywhere near the door. Spray the kitty with a spray bottle until it runs away... it's for safety only. You should also get a breakaway collar with an engraved name tag so that if your kitty does escape, then you have a better chance of finding him or her. Next, adopt a kitty of the opposite sex from the one that you already have to prevent same-gender dominance issues. YOU MUST spay the female before age 6 months, and the male after that. Both kittens should be to the vet and have a check-up and deworming, plus shots, before you adopt. There are three sets of shots needed. I would ask your friend to spay his cat after she finishes nursing and then take a kitten home at nine weeks of age (after eating solid food with a vet check-up).