george

entered male kitten scratches on glass doors

Why does my ten month old neutered male constantly scratch on my glass closet doors starting at 3am every morning for hours? I've tried locking him in the bathroom but today hr escaped. Thought it was pretty funny. He never gets angry when I do it but I have given him treats. Is this condoning the behavior tho? I've tried spraying a water bottle but he just runs away n comes right back! I work full time so this is hard not sleeping sometime I have to move to the couch. My boyfriend only works a few hrs a day so I don't think he's lonely. He is otherwise we'll behaved. We had the same doors in our last place that we moved out of a country let months ago and he never payed any attention to them !

Asked by george on Oct 27th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Does he want to go through? My cats do that when they want me to open the sliding glass door for them. It makes squeaking noises. To deter the behavior, add 1/2 white vinegar to the spray bottle. They dislike this combination more than water alone. You need to distract him away before giving treats, but yes you could be teaching him that if he behaves in such a way, treats are the result (the opposite of what you are hoping for). ^_^

Buddha

Get a carpeted cat tree with sisal wrapped posts. Cats love to climb and scratch on these. You also might try taping a blanket ovr the doors and see if that discourages him.

Buddha answered on 11/6/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer