Eartha Kitty

Eartha Kitty is a tartar-control treat junkie! Can too much of this food be dangerous to her digestion?

Miss Eartha sez: Whenever my BFF enters the kitchen, I am perched in my begging spot demanding treats. I prefer tartar-control treats to any other food. I do have sparkling white teeth, but can this be too much of a good thing?

Asked by Eartha Kitty on Jan 5th 2010 Tagged food, treats in Treats

Answers

Shadow

Yes this is too much, but not of any good kind.
No dry food treats are good for a cats teeth. Their teeth are not designed to crunch the food, their teeth are made to rip and tear food.
When the food is crunched it just gets into the gumline where problems occur. Its like giving your cat cheetos to clean the teeth. Do dentists prescribe us to eat cheetos to clean our teeth? lol!
If you look at the ingredients of this treat you will see that it is not fit for a obligate carnivore, they do spray these foods with animal fats to make the cat love them, but that does not mean that they are good for them. YOu can find other alternatives to help keep your cats teeth clean, like brushing with a cat dental paste, and having the vet do the cleaning. Also there is a product you can put on the teeth and gums called Petzlife that helps with tartar and bacteria.

Shadow answered on 1/5/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lily and I have learned to beg for treats when the doggie sisfurs go outside. I get maybe 5 treats a day and I know how to "sit" when mom tells me to and then gives me the little treat. There are treats called 'greenies' that our friend Allie's mom gives her and her sisfurs. You can tell mom to ask your doctor the next time you go if these are truly so bad for you. I'd sure miss 'em!

Treats are great and my girls love them. I put a handful on the floor and they all have some. (it's impossible to do individually with 6 cats...LOL) I call Maggie "pac-man" because she comes along chomp chomp chomp and eats them all up barely tasting them in her haste to get them all so I have to stop her so everybody gets some. Treats are fun but they don't contain all the nutrition Eartha gets from her real food. So if she gets too many and doesn't have any appetite for her supper, then I would cut back a bit. Do you feed her dry food? I would keep a handful of it in a baggie and when she begs, give her some of that instead. I had tried feeding healthier treats, but lets face it, when you want a treat and you can choose between a carrot stick and an oreo, the oreo wins. Treats are supposed to be yummy but should be used in moderation. Mine ask for more too but a Mom has to set the limits and just say no.

Harvey

Sorry that this is off-topic, but I love your name!

Harvey answered on 1/7/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I wonder if the tartar control "food" has any type of sugar in it. I had to switch prescription foods because the cats would beg to eat all the time. It got out of control and expensive. I know they put something in the product to make it appealing but it has become way too appealing.
I don't buy grocery store food ever, as it is junk. I wonder why cats get diabetes......I lost a cat and was determined to learn to keep my others healthy. Please internet search what the best foods are. I promise they will not come from a grocery store. When you are getting real Food in your cat they are satisfied and actually eat less. Just like when humans eat carbs, we are never satisfied and can't get enough, but get us some protein and we will eat less. They tend to live longer when they are truly fed by real nutrition and those foods are easy to find on the internet.