During Winter my cat stays in 2story neat heated building.He also stays there every night in Summer since his friend was killed by wild animal possibly a coyote. He is so sad and lonely, His personality is timid. I have 2spayed cats for his new company. Should I put them in a large cage with box, food and water and half covered for the first few days? They are also going to be petrified

Asked by Member 1150107 on Jan 15th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

This is how I accustomed my rescue, Izzie, to my home 5 years ago and it worked. If you don't have a separate room to keep them in, keeping them in a cage will be much more successful than just putting them together with the male. When I socialized Izzie, I had him in a cage in my den. While it was not the busiest room in the house, I spent much (quiet) time on the computer and he got used to me. I would speak to him, play with him (through the bars) and let him decide for himself if he wanted to be part of our family. After about a week, I let my other cat, Ernie, into the room. After another week of frequent visits, I let Izzie out of the cage to meet Ernie. It went very well. It was about a month before Izzie had the run of the entire house.