Oscar

Does Revolution kill ear mites?

Oscar just had his first does of Revolution last week. He appears to have ear mites - black gunk and scratching at ears). I've cleaned them with just a mild kitty ear cleaner, not medicated or anything. I'm wondering if the Revolution will kill the ear mites or if it just prevents them. If it only prevents them , do we need to get treatment to kill the ones that are currently there? Thanks!

Asked by Oscar on Oct 13th 2008 Tagged revolution, earmites in Medications

Answers

On the Feline Revolution website, it says that it does treat and protect against ear mites. However, I would continue to clean his ears, but don't poke anything down in there. If it were me, I'd take him to the vet's and have his ears cleaned by them. I've never been good at cleaning my animals' ears and prefer to have it done by a pro! (JMO)

Bailey

I agree with Izzie on having the vet clean Oscar's ears. Kira was treated twice for ear mites before they were all cured. The gunk they were scooping out of her ears was much deeper than I would dare to clean them myself. After 2 weeks those nasty critters were still in there so they treated her a second time with MilbeMite Otic solution. And Bailey has black gunk that the vet tech cleaned for me that turned out not to be mites at all. My vet thinks Bailey may just have a food allergy because it built up so much after just 2 months since her groomer cleaned them. You just can't tell for sure without a microscope.

Bailey answered on 10/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My now 6 month old kitten had the worst case of ear mites the vet had ever seen. Tried olbemite 3 times with 1 week intervals only worked for few days then back to scratching. So when she was getting spayed I had them deep clean her ears which were compacted with debris. Next we put her on revolution for kitten's and started a regiment of Tresaderm ear treatment (script from vet, keep in frig),apply as follows 3 drops twice a day for one week both ears ,once a day for 1 /wk, 3 times a week, once a week for 3 weeks. Now she is cured. Before we thought she was deaf, now her ears are clean, she can hear and is a happy kittie. I will maintain the revolution probably for another 3 months dose and will periodically instill 3 drops of ear meds for preventative measure. drops cost aprox $14.00 from vet, revolution cost aprox $28.00 free shipping. online. Please do not use store bought ear mite meds, they squirm and cry, I think it burns too harsh for a cats ears. I hope this helps. God Bles