Does my cat need a companion? Please help!

I have a 2 year old male British Shorthair. He is a very friendly cat and loves our dog, he just wants to play every time he sees her (unfortunately she is not so keen). I absolutely adore my cat and want him to have the happiest life possible. I would love to get a kitten as a companion for him, as I don't want him to be lonely during the day and wonder if he is missing out on that special cat companionship. However, it would break my heart if introducing a second cat upset him or they were unable to co-exist and I had to find a new home for the kitten. I feel like getting a second cat is a bit of a gamble... Is it worth the risk? How do I know what would be best for him?

Asked by Member 1232146 on Aug 19th 2014 in Kittens

Best Answer

I would say that how things will go depends on the dog more than the cat. If the dog is older, wait until she has passed to get a kitten. All kittens do is eat, sleep and play. Although your goal is to get a kitten for "the cat", in reality you are getting a kitten for everyone, because the kitten will not be discriminatory when it comes to play. So, will adding a kitten be a total nuisance to your dog, or is she age 6 or less? If you do add a cat, make sure it is a younger spayed female to reduce same-gender dominance issues with the other feline. Also, feed the kitten a separate food for its first year such as MaxCat kitten by Nutro, which is healthy. ^_^

Orion Hemingway answered on Aug 19th.

There Are No Other Answers