Diego

Does it mean good when my kitten is always licking me?

Asked by Diego on Feb 11th 2009 Tagged kitten, licking in Other Kittens

Answers

Gosh, it sounds like you must be a first-time cat owner, and a very conscientious one at that! It really sounds like that cute, cute Diego is a lovely kitten who simply adores you. Maybe more informed Catsters can tell you something different, but when a cat licks you, it is generally the same reason they lick each other--mutual grooming is a sign of affection. My experience has been that when my cats lick my skin or hair, they look very confused; they are trying to show affection, but I'm not a cat, and I don't have fur! Cats sometimes lick you if you have salty sweat on your skin; sometimes they lick you to comfort you; sometimes they lick you because that's what they learned from Momcat and their siblings. Unless Diego is licking you to the point that you suspect he's got OCD (and giving you skin allergies), I'd say off the cuff that he's just trying to tell you that he's glad you rescued him and considers you his Mommy/Daddy. Now, isn't that nice?

Blaze

I agree with Leila. Diego is grooming you which is a sign of affection Mine all did that as kittens and still sometimes give kisses as adults. But my little one Blaze loves to lick my chin and loves to groom and be groomed by her sisters. It gives them a safe comforting feeling.

Blaze answered on 2/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Licking means various things. Usually a cat licking his/her owner means, "I love U." Tho, licking expresses other things. Licking can mean, “Please don’t!"

When my cat wants to be left alone, he’ll 1st flick his tail. If that’s unheeded, he’ll lick the person’s hand ...especially if the person is touching the base of his tail or under his belly. If still not heeded, he’ll place his teeth, but not sink them in, on their hand to say, "I'm going to bite U, if U don't stop!" By now, any person who keeps on is asking 4 it!

Aside from licking us, U may see a cat licking his/her shoulder w/rapid, repeated, movements …as tho scratching a sudden itch. This can be a sign of frustration.

When trying to figure out the meaning of a cat’s actions, look also at what is going on around, to & with him/her …all other energies, messages or activities in the room …also notice what’s going on with his/her ears, tail, pupils (vs. lighting), whiskers, front paws & hair (esp. along back & tail).

He loves his new Meowmie. :D