Does anyone know why a head of my kitty smells of urine today?

All other cats were sniffing on him and licking him this morning, including his dog-friend.
All my cats and dogs are very friendly with each other, no jealousy between anyone.

Johnie is neutered and my other four girls are spayed.
They are all more or less 2.5 year olds.

All kitties go out as they wish - windows are open at all times - day and night.

There is no litter box in the house anymore, because they now prefer to go out into the garden where we make sure lots of soft soil is puffed up for them all around. They also go off the property (mainly at night).

What could cause my boy Johnie have this smell of urine on his head (couldn't be his own)?

Did he scare some stray kitty so they pissed on him?
Did he found another friend who marked him?
Johnie is not sick - we go to vets regularly for any small thing, but Johnie doesn't show any sign of anything strange with him apart from this smell today.

Should I worry about this event?
Please tell me what could cause such a thing?

Asked by Member 877221 on Jul 22nd 2011 in Other Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Unless Johnie wears a kitty-camera when he goes out, it's diffcult to tell why his head smells like urine. I would be willing to bet,however that like most animals, he found it to roll in. A lot of cats don't do a "full body roll", they'll just run their head and shoulders along the spot to pick up the scent. Animals use another scent to cover their own. It aids them in hunting so the prey can't "smell them coming" so to speak. If the odor offends you (I can guarantee you that to Johnie,it's as good as Chanel #5) use a wipe or just wash his head if he'll tolerate it. Keep an eye on him. If he begins to shake his head or if his eyes don't look "right", this is time to call his doctor. He may have contracted an infection outdoors and you want to catch it as soon as you can. Just observe him, don't panic. You're probably a lot more concerned about it than he is! ;-)

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Jul 22nd.

Answers

Pharaoh Purrince Tao DIT#33

may be one of her friends had peed on her head while she was sleeping outside. or may be she was fighting with some kitty and the other one was losing so it peed on aggression! it happened once with my aunt's kitty and one of her neighbor's country kitty while they were fighting over foods! the other kitty was younger and it was getting defeated that's why it peed on my aunt's kitty! and i don't think there's anything to be afraid off! just make sure that it never happens with an older kitty! it could be dangerous fighting with bigger cats for ur kitty!
luvs
Qreus Mynd.

Pharaoh Purrince Tao DIT#33 answered on 7/22/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer