Smoky

Does anyone know what the tiny little bugs are that hang around cat food and how to get rid of them. Shibby won't eat he

Asked by Smoky on Jul 25th 2008 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Spike

I have the same problem, and finally figured out what they were, at least in my case. In my case, they are drain flies, which look like tinier versions of fruit flies. They live on the dirt lining the insides of your pipes, but also seem to like to hang around things like cat food or empty cat food cans (or any kind of food, for that matter). I believe the standard way of getting rid of them is to have your drains cleaned; hiring someone to flush them with a high-power hose really works. Otherwise, chlorine bleach is supposed to be effective. I haven't found regular drain cleaner to work too well. (And never mix drain cleaner with chlorine bleach or the fumes may kill you!) I found that the easiest method is to plug up all my drains when they're not in use, or cover them with something. I don't know if you have drain flies or not, but it took me a long time to figure out what I had. You might make an Internet search to see if what you have might be drain flies.

Spike answered on 7/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bella (In Loving Memory)

i would first try thoroughly cleaning your cats dishes and the area around his bowel. clean your drains with bleach and flush them out daily until the flies are gone.

i'm a vet tech and this happened at the kennel i work at. i went on a two week vacation and they got a temp guy in to do my work and he never cleaned the drains and i came back in to bug CITY. It only took a couple days of diligent cleaning to get the bugs to do away.

Bella (In Loving Memory) answered on 7/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer