Does anyone know of anything to help a cat in heat? Spaying is not an option! (heart murmur)

We recently added two rag doll kittens to our family. Tink is a very small female. When we took her and her brother in to the vet to get spayed and neutered we discovered that Tink has a heart murmur. The vet recommended that she not get spayed as he is not sure if she will survive the operation.

Now Tink has gone into Kitten heat. She has been in heat for a week now and still sounds like she is in agony. Does anyone know of any home remedies or even any medications that we could look into to help her through times like these? We happen to have another neutered male staying in the basement right now (he is on vacation).. Would you recommend putting them together? Like I said we are willing to try anything but spaying is simply not an option.

Asked by Member 1124557 on Aug 7th 2012 Tagged heartmurmur, heat, spaying, homeremedies, medications in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Oh, dear. They say that longhaired cats tend to have less violent heat cycles, but it sounds like Tink is in a bad way. First, be very, very careful that she doesn't get out--cats in heat are masters at escaping, and once she gets out, she'll come back pregnant--or not come back at all. Ask your vet if there are any hormone treatments you might try. Breeders have been known to use teaser toms (unneutered cats who have had vasectomies) to satisfy their queens, but that is not an option for laymen. A Feliway diffuser might help calm her. Perhaps another vet might have the expertise to spay a cat with a heart problem? Her heats will become less violent as she ages, but that will take years. As for the neutered male, he might do the neck biting and foot stomping stuff, but that might not soothe her, and she could lash out at him. Proceed with caution.

As usual, Lola gives excellent advice. Your vet has made a diagnoses, but needs to take it one step further and counsel you on how to handle Tink for the rest of her life. Cats don't go into menopause like human females do, so this could be a long time. I know that our town has an excellent Veterinary Referral Clinic. This is staffed by board certified specialists in almost every field of pet health. You are referred there by your own vet. I've been there twice, once with my daughter's cat who had swallowed a puzzle piece. They diagnosed her and then advised me to go back to her own vet for the surgery since, they said, the surgery was not complicated and could be done cheaper by her own vet. They may also be able to advise you on available medications and treatment if they concur that surgery is not an option for her. Good luck! Please keep up posted!

Her heart murmur needs to be evaluated. She'll need a cardiac ultrasound and likely a referral to a veterinary cardiologist. A heart murmur is not a "disease" - it's a sign something is abnormal in the heart. Some heart murmurs are "innocent" and nothing to worry about... others are a sign of serious heart disease. You need to have her heart murmur evaluated to know exactly what you are dealing with and if it's safe for her to be spayed.

Figero

I would get her heart murmur evaluated like previously mentioned. My Figero cat had a heart murmur when he was a kitten, at about 2 years old it just went away..my vet then told me that some times kittens will have heart murmurs and that as they grow the murmur will either just go away or become less severe, hopefully this is the case with your little Tink.

Did you get her from a breeder? If so, the breeder may be able to offer some suggestions on how to help her.

Figero answered on 8/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer