Does anyone know of a stool softner for an older cat that is in good health? What is a good way to administer it ?

My cat is 12 years old we recently switched foods now kitty is constipated. The vet says I can try cooking oil and I did kitty does not like the taste of vegatable oil. She won't touch it if I put it in her food. Vasaline makes for discolored stools. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Asked by Member 524668 on Dec 2nd 2007 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Boris

Maybe you could get a can of tuna in olive oil? Mom buys that sometimes, and since I always beg her when smelling tuna, she will let me have a small piece, tuna and all. I always lick the oil clean because it tastes like tuna.

Or maybe you could get a dropper and just administer the oil as if it was medicine? It might make your kitty pissed at you at first, but at least she will be pooping better.

Boris answered on 12/2/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wyonna ( In Loving Memory)

have a vet get your cat Lactulse. Its CHEAP and i give it to my cat by the mouth in a tube. 2ml a day and it soften the poop. They have hairball stuff you can try that is over the counter also.

Wyonna ( In Loving Memory) answered on 12/2/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Giving her wet food might help. I'd try that before medicating her with something like a stool softner which could backfire (no pun intended) and give her diahrrea. You can also try hairball gel (available at any pet store). She should like that because it tastes like molasses. It's pretty oily. I don't think you're supposed to eat Vaseline so I wouldn't give her any more of that. If she gets to the point where she's uncomfortable, you may want to call your vet.

Jesse James - An Angel

Are you feeding the kitty beef? That can cause constipation in some cats. It's also possible that your kitty has Irritable Bowel Disease. That will cause constipation, and we cry in the litter box.

I was misdiagnosed by my original Doctor, and I lost a lot of weight and was not doing great. My new Doctor had me stop eating beef, I eat chicken and fish now. I also have Vetsayl powder and PROZyme mixed in my food now.

The Vetasyl helps clean my pipes, and the PROZyme helps to make sure you get all the nutrients you need from your food. I am 18 and you wouldn't believe how shiny my fur is now, and how much more energy I have.

Both are available without a prescription online and may be worth a try.

Jesse James - An Angel answered on 12/8/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer