Skuya

Does anyone know of a natural or home-remedy to rid a cat of worms (tapeworms)?

I am a elderly kitty with IBD, too. Meowmie found some rice-like segments in my stool, (yuck!). She's waiting to hear back from the vet on if I am O.K. to de-worm (i.e.-healthy/strong enough) and if so, they'll provide the med. But instead of that she is wondering if there is anything that might be less harsh/potentially toxic? I'm very fragile now, taking a bunch of meds for IBD and even recieving SQ fluids, although I am on the mend somewhat. I just made it back up to 7#, (had dropped to 6.5#), and the last few days have been having more formed stools.
The vet tech said I probably got this from ingesting a flea (they carry it), although Meowmie hasn't seen any on me. But she will be treating me for that, too.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Asked by Skuya on Jul 16th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Gracie

You need to be given something for those worms, and something separate for the fleas, by the vet. Izzie is right, Revolution is a flea preventive that has hardly any side effects, so that's a good start. The worm med is something else, and you will need two doses in 10 days. I don't know that there are any other remedies you can take.

Gracie answered on Jul 17th.

Answers

There are no home remedies for worms other than prevention. When Skyua's worms are cleared up, make sure you keep her Frontlined or whatever your vet recommends for flea prevention. It's a monthly dose, and around here, with 6 animals, it's an hour-long procedure by the time I chase all them down and squirt the stuff on their necks ;-) When my late Katrina Rescue, Hope, had worms, all they gave me was Revolution for her. It cleared up the worms and I think it's also a flea preventative. When I took her stool back in for a worm check, she was clear. I didn't have to give her any meds (pills or anything else) for the worms. She was 10 and was not really healthy due to her experiences during the Hurricane. But the Revolution had no bad effect on her.