FLO

does any body know why cats bring u there mice?

why do cat bring u there mice after they catch it??

(lanna)

Asked by FLO on May 16th 2010 in Kittens

Answers

There are possibly a few reasons for this: 1) they are bringing you a "present" to show their affection to you; or 2) they are showing you the "present" so that you will be proud of them. Who knows? It's kind of cute. I feed feral cats outside my home and occasionally they will bring me a mouse, but never a bird. It's like they know the mouse is okay to hunt but not the bird as far as us humans are concerned. Cats are not dumb!!!

Zoe

they are giveing it as a reward!

Zoe answered on 5/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My year-old caught a bird and indeed thought she had done something wrong. She was delighted with the toy, but wouldn't let us look get close to her while she had the bird.. I just wonder if she ate it, hid it or just just left it somewhere. At least, she didn't leave in the living room. I'm sure she caught it by accident.

Emily

Did you get the cat when it was young if so it may respect you as more of a mother than owner and its not cos it wants to anoy u its a sing that your part of the pack so it will share its catch with you.

Emily answered on 5/19/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Misty

to show how much they LOVE YOU!! lol awwwwe its like an award for them that they caught something so they have to bring it to momma so they can be praised... :) pretty cool huh??

Misty answered on 5/20/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ashlea

This is their sign of love and affection. Cats are like our kids. That mouse is like an "A" on a report card. They want us to be happy and proud of them. Yes, its nasty, but its so sweet if you really think about it.

Ashlea answered on 5/22/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Snickers

That is all on how You see it. The previous answers are all good one and there is no real reason why they bring you their presents. It's based on love and trust. You should be proud of what they are doing. You would not want a dead mouse laying somewhere in the house decaying.. smiles. Snickers and Co. Mom

Snickers answered on 1/4/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cat is indoors only so doesn't bring me mice or other critters, but my vet and I were talking at one of Jack's visits and he gave me another reason for this that made me laugh. Some cats do this because they realize you are an incompetent mouser and they are trying to educate you! I guess it all boils down to the same principle - your kitty has your best interests at heart and is looking out for you :)

I have had several cats,kittens, and kitty moms to be all my life. Not only are they bringing you the unfortunate dead mouse to you,or your front door as a gift for you to be proud but it is also I believe the way in thier minds of "paying food and board" so to speak to you, showing you that they are doing thier part of the "housework" and are not squatters. I simply say "good boy/girl, pick it up with paper towels and dispose of it and then a simple pet for your feline pet. Although no one likes mice in thier house, I do, however say "no" if I see my cats stalking outside a living animal for death. I feel all animals have a right to live, but sometimes the cat wins the battle, and pays you rent for it. I wish us humans had such a small rent each month....LOL. Hope this helps. Brent,Tucson Arizona

Wolfie

I was bringing mice to my owners because I kept trying to tell them that I could not stomach the dry cat food. I tried throwing up and ignoring it all day until I was starving but nothing worked. They finally got the message and now they feed me canned food or real food that is not dry or filled with a lot of wheat and corn. If I could get them to feed me raw, I would be in heaven!

Wolfie answered on 2/28/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Charlie

I have indoor cats as well so I have never had this, but I do have a friend who has outdoor cats, they do it because they wan't to show you how to hunt as they think you are incompetent. It could be seen as affection though as if they didn't care about you, they would just let you live not being able to "hunt"...

Charlie answered on 12/18/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

They are trying to scare you. They are showing you how awesome they are at hunting so that you will respect them and their wishes. Because look what happens if you don't!

I'm just kidding of course. :) But it's worth thinking about:) I know my cat is the dominant species in my house, and he doesn't even have to bring me mice to prove it.

Hi I enjoyed your submission note on your kitty. I can verify from experience that my beautiful Siamese, brought me a mouse a couple of times. I had become very ill, and in and out of the hospital and I was depressed but going steady. She obviously picked up on my mind set when humans could not and wanted to do something to cheer me up. She went to the door and she was insisting on going outside. I never let her go out alone and I walked to the door to watch her, did not see what she was doing. But she came back to the door, eyes blazing etc and growling, I did not notice she had anything in her mouth. She had caught a mouse, and she came in and spit it on the floor. I freaked out for I don't care for anything like that. She looked at me with such amazement and wonderment in her eyes as why I did not like her gift. Someone I don't remember removed the thing off the floor. She comes in with a live one with the tail protruding from her mouth. I ran out the house. Her gifts to me.