♥ Tasha ♥

Do you let your cat sleep on an electric blanket?

I do, but I was always concerned that they could get hurt by kneading. I googled it, and I don't see any "tragic" stories; but it just seems unsafe somehow.

Asked by ♥ Tasha ♥ on Mar 15th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Unless your kitty is a power-kneader or a chewer, I don't think you need to worry. The make the wires pretty strong since people can wrap themseves up in an electric blanket and put a lot of stress on those wires. If the blanket is worn or threadbare in any place, then I'd be concerned, but if it's in good shape, as long as you don't notice holes or chew marks, I wouldn't worry. (But I would not leave it on when your're not there to check on her. )

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Mar 15th.

Answers

I don't have an electric blanket, but I often sleep on top of a flat electric heating pad (common in Japan, but probably not in the States). The cats love it. I make a point of turning it off when I get up in the morning, but sometimes forget. I come home to find the cats sleeping on it. No one has scratched or chewed it or come to any harm. What you do need to be careful about, however, is kittens. When you prepare a birthing chamber for Momcat (which she is likely not to use), or when you have orphaned kittens, a heating pad wrapped in a towel is recommended in place of Momcat's heat--but you have to make sure also to provide a space for them to move off of the heated area. This is not really related to your question, but the fact is that people do use heating pads for kittens, so an electric blanket is probably not dangerous. However, I would advise you to supervise its use.

This may be so not what you were planning, but just in case, I'd like to share an experience I had. My cat has a kitty door in the door that separates our cold garage from the warmer rest of the house. He loves to go in the garage, but not so much in the winter. So, I thought it would be a great idea to place a heating pad over a plastic tub I have under the window which, when he lays there, puts him in the perfect spot to peer out that window. Turned out someone else took advantage of the warmth I provided. When I removed the towel I had around the heating pad to put on a fresh towel & launder the dirty one, I found a huge black widow spider on the under side. There was only the pad & a towel between that venomous vermin & my little one!!! Heebie Jeebies!!!! Spider's dead & heating pad's been pulled! I didn't even know we had black widows. Now I have a spider killing spree in my garage every month or so in spring, summer & fall. They can't live in MY garage anymore thru winter.

More Questions in This Category